Ho boy. Where do I start...

Monday, August 21, 2006

Be Lame Like Mel: A 12 Step Program

  1. Join a local book club.
  2. Every month suggest the SAME book.
  3. After ONE YEAR of badgering members, finally have your book chosen.
  4. Don't bother to order the book online, wait until the DAY BEFORE the meeting to buy it.
  5. Discover that pretty much every bookstore in the area has sold out of your book.
  6. Call in reinforcements to help you track down the book.
  7. After finding the book, go out shopping with a friend instead of getting started on reading the dang thing.
  8. Go out that evening and consume a full bottle of super-sugary dry white wine by yourself. (You can always read the book the next day, right?)
  9. Spend the next day recovering from the full bottle of super-sugary dry white wine you drank.
  10. Show up 30 minutes late for the book club meeting that you are supposed to be moderating.
  11. Pretend you know what the members are saying about your book by nodding and agreeing with them.
  12. Suggest a new book for next month.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You didn't read the book??? You made *ME* read the book!!!

*puts hands on hips*

I can't believe you! >:O

:-p

7:41 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Apparently being lame like me is a 13 step program. Step 13: Give your blog address to one of the members of your book club. D'oh!

Sorry, Fred. Actually, I'm not sure I want to read it now... I heard the last chapter was sad.

;-)

8:42 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course, you can read the rest of the book without reading the last chapter ... although then you'll miss what all the hubbub was about.

You know, Mel, you are almost as crazy as I am. I guess that is why we get along so well. ;-)

{{{hugs}}}

12:30 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. That's pretty good.

Wouldn't it have made more sense to suggest a book you had already read?

When you coming to SD again so we can play DDR?

9:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HAHAHA! Bravo!

Mel, I love how nowhere in the entry, or in the comments, does it mention the name of the book you actually recommended. What was the book? *leans in and whispers* Between you and me...do you know the name of the book?

4:49 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Jay - Suggest a book I've already read? Come on, that would just be too easy. Have you forgotten who you're talking to? Also, I think YOU need to come visit ME. It'll inspire me to hook up the DDR that I paid big $$$ for and never bother to use.

Shoa - The name of the book is "No Touch Monkey: And Other Travel Lessons Learned Too Late". I figured since it was about travel misadventures, it'd be right up my alley. Plus, it had a funny picture of a monkey on the cover. Although I never read it, I HIGHLY suggest you do. In fact, you should be running out RIGHT NOW to get it instead of doing whatever it is you do at work.

2:33 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have yet to read it, Melanie, so no worries. I'll get around to reading a book in book club one day.

1:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

jay's suggestion, while quite sensibibble, represents the sort of logical thinking that would have kept Lucy from stuffing the chocolates in her mouth instead of slowing the line down. There is seldom enough humor in it.

4:29 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home