Ho boy. Where do I start...

Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Got Beer?

Since my friend Marc was the first to point out how well I've been keeping up with "Every Day in May," I will take this opportunity to share a misadventure I recently had with him.

A month ago, on a brief visit home, the two of us got together over dinner. I love Marc. He is the only guy I could split EVERY fried appetizer on the menu at the Chimes with, without feeling embarrassed. We had a genuine piggy-fest. Boudin balls, fried mozzarella, cheese fries, fried alligator - the only thing we consumed that wasn't cooked in boiling fat, was our cocktails.

We were slightly agitated that half our order of fried mozzarella was nothing but batter shells as the cheese seemed to have slipped out during preparation. So, to lift our spirits, we decided to hit Walk-ons for their famous cookie bowl sundae. It was here that Marc and I experimented by creating a beer float. Yes, that is right - not root beer - just... beer.

I'm not sure if my "foodie" friends will applaud our efforts or turn away in disgust, but Marc reported it was "not bad." That said, I still don't think it'll be showing up on diner menus across the country any time soon. I imagine too many might cause a nasty hangover with a touch of brain freeze. Hmmm... Marc, wanna be the guinea pig for that experiment too? ;-)

8 Comments:

Blogger Hateful, Party of One said...

What does fried gator taste like?

12:33 PM

 
Blogger Mel said...

Fried gator? Well, it tastes greasier and crunchier than blackened gator, but isn't as spicy.

8:57 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, is there anything you won't pair ice cream with? First french fries, now beer?

10:22 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mel, I direct you attention to the Guinness Float.

4:59 PM

 
Blogger Kay said...

MEL! Does your friend Marc go by the nickname Dubie?

8:37 AM

 
Blogger Mel said...

The one and only, Kay! :-D

8:48 AM

 
Blogger Kay said...

It's a small world, afterall! I had no idea we had a mutual friend outside of the message board crowd.

1:32 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mel! I'm so sorry it has taken me so long to comment. June has been crazy! I had so much fun that night! Our little fried fest was the stuff legends are made of. I think what happened with the mozzarella sticks was one of them had the idea of slinking off for drinks down the street and half of them thought that was a pretty good idea too and decided to join it.

That cookie bowl sundae at Walkons put me right at the precipice (sp?) of sugar death. I was hurting by the end. I think it was my sugar/alcohol stupor that told me mixing ice cream and beer was a fantastic idea. To be honest, it wasn't bad...it wasn't GOOD, mind you, but it wasn't bad...

Oh, and since my camera phone takes such PHENOMENAL pictures (smell the sarcasm?), it's not very evident in that pic that what I believe we were trying to capture was the fact that I have an ice cream/beer moustache.

Yeah, I don't see the beer float being a hit on bar menus anytime soon either. A drunken brain freeze...that would probably hurt. But then again, by that point, you probably wouldn't care...

Hateful, fried gator tastes a little like chicken (ya figured that was coming, right?!), but it's a little rubbery in texture.

Brian, thanks for the link. If I'm not mistaken, it may have actually been Guinness in my glass...either that or Abita Andygator, things were a bit fuzzy by then..

And Kay! Yes, this is DuBie! When somebody refers to me as DuBie, I know it's one of my "old school" friends from back in the day. If this is the same Kay I'm thinking of, I haven't seen you in YEARS!! Here's a little test...Did your mama "give you something to cry about" when you were a kid? LOL!

And Mel, in answer to the voicemail you left: Yes, I'd love to go with ya! I'll call ya to firm up plans. :)

10:26 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home